|Lucocid – R 3% |
Each 100 grams contain:
Hydroquinone 3.0 gm.
Retinoic acid 0.025 gm.
Lucocid-R 3% ointment is a combination of two effective topical agents:
Hydroquinone and Retinoic acid for decreasing hyperpigmentation of the skin. Hydroquinone is a well known reversible inhibitor of melanogenesis. Retinoic acid is an irritant substance appears to stimulate the epithelium to produce a less cohesive horny layer which is more easily peeled off. Lucocid-R 3 % ointment does not affect the normal pigment of skin and thus has no action on normal color of the skin.
Indications and usage :
Lucocid – R 3 % Ointment is mainly used in cases of localized
hyperpigmentation of the skin as :
Melasma (chloasma that accompany frequency of gonadal disturbances) .
Hyperpigmentation that follows burns .
Post inflammatory hyperpigmentations .
Hyperpigmenation that follows contact with essential oil ( Eau de cologne) .
Ephelis ( Frackling ).
Hyperpigmentation following prolonged sun exposure.
* Hypersensitivity to any of the product components.
* Eczema or other skin conditions.
* During pregnancy, children less than 12 years or patients older than 50
years of age.
Side effects :
- Erythema, Stinging , peeling and pruritis may occur also drying and fissures of
paranasal and infraorbital areas can occur.
Drug interactions :
* Caution is required if concomitant use of Lucocid -R 3% ointment with:
· Medicated or abrasive soaps, cosmetics and other preparations that have
strong drying effects.
· Topical products with high concentrations of alcohol.
· Hair depilatories or other products that may irritate the skin.
· Preparations containing sulfur, resorcinol or salicylic acid.
* Lucocid-R 3% ointment shouldn't be administered if patient is also taking
drugs known to be photosensitizers (ex. Thiazides, Tetracyclines,
Fluoroquinolones , Phenothiazines , Sulphonamides ).
Warnings and precautions:
* Lucocid-R 3% ointment should be used under medical supervision.
* Treatment should be limited to relatively small areas of the body not more
than 10 % , and duration of treatment should be limited to 2 months with
a maximum of 4 months. If no bleaching or lightening effect is noted after
2 months of treatment, use of the ointment should be discontinued.
* Patients with inherent sensitivity to sunlight or who may have considerable
sun exposure due to their occupation should exercise particular caution when
using Lucocid-R 3% ointment.
* Patients with sunburn should be advised not to use Lucocid-R 3% ointment
until fully recovered.
* This product contains sodium metabisulphite which may cause serious allergic
type reactions in certain susceptible persons.
Lucocid-R 3% ointment is a skin bleaching agent that may produce mild sensitivity if not used as directed. Irritation can occur if applied on paranasal, infra-orbital areas and mucous membranes , so, sensitivity test should be done before use by applying a small amount to intact skin. Minor redness is not
a contraindication but when itching or vesicle formation or excessive inflammatory response occur further treatment should be stopped immediately.
Dosage and administration :
Lucocid-R 3% ointment is rubbed on hyperpigmented areas once or twice at
night only since this product does not contain sunscreens.
Exposure to sun light should be avoided after application of the ointment
otherwise an effective sunblock or sunscreen should be used.
Tube of 30 g .
Store at a temperature not exceeding 25 oc .