Antiprotozoal, amebicidal &trichomonocide
Each tablet contains:
Metronidazole 250 mg
Trichocid contains metronidazole which is considered the drug of choice in treatment of serious infections caused by anaerobic bacteria. It is active against colonic anaerobes, especially Bacteroides fragilis infections. Also, it is highly active against Helicobacter pylori, Clostridium tetani.
Metronidazole is also active against several protozoa including Trichomonas vaginalis, Entamoeba histolytica and Giardia lamblia infections.
The mode of action has not yet been fully elucidated, but it appears that metronidazole diffuses into target cell, where it is reduced to intermediate compounds, which inhibit DNA synthesis and cause bacterial death.
Indications & usage:
- Amoebiasis, giardiasis and trichommniasis.
- Prophylaxis and treatment of anaerobic infections.
Hypersensitivity to metronidazole or other nitroimidazole derivatives.
- Nausea, Vomiting, Unpleasant taste and GI disturbance may occur.
- Darkening of urine may rarely occur.
- Transient seizures and peripheral neuropathy may rarely occur on prolonged
or intensive therapy.
- Metronidazole may enhance effect of coumarin anticoagulants and phenytoin.
- Metronidazole may inhibit metabolism of fluorouracil (increase its toxicity).
- Plasma concentration of metronidazole may be increased by cimetidine and decreased by barbiturates.
Warnings & precautions:
- Caution is required in case of impaired hepatic functions, pregnancy and lactation.
- Clinical and laboratory monitoring is advised if treatment exceed 10 days.
Dosage & administration:
* For amoebiasis:
2-3 tablets every 8 hours for 5-10 consecutive days.
* Fo giardiasis:
8 tablets( 2 g) daily for 3 days or 2 tablets (500mg) every 12 hours for 7-10 days.
* For trichomoniasis:
2 tablets every12 hours for 5-7 days.
* For anaerobic infections:
2 tablets every 8 hours
Box of 10 tablets.