|Cidophage 500 mg – 1000 mg |
Cidophage - Retard 850 mg
Oral antidiabetic biguanide
Each tablet of Cidophage contains :
Metformin HCl 500 mg or 1000 mg .
Each tablet of Cidophage retard contains :
Metformin HCl 850 mg .
Cidophage contains metformin HCl which is a biguanide oral antidiabetic used in management of type II (non -insulin dependent diabetes mellitus) .
Cidophage is the drug of first choice in obese diabetics with insulin resistance
syndrome alone or with sulphonylurea .
Cidophage has hypolipidemic effect, lowering serum triglycerides , LDL
cholesterol level without any adverse effect on other lipid levels .
- Cidophage stabilizes or decreases body weight , also its anorexic effect is beneficial in weight loss .
Cidophage exerts its action as anti-hyperglycemic agent without causing
hypoglycemia and without weight gain .
Cidophage improves insulin sensitivity without causing hyperinsulinemia.
Cidophage exerts its action by decreasing gluconeogenesis , reducing
intestinal absorption of glucose and increasing peripheral glucose uptake and
utilization by skeletal muscles .
Cidophage reaches maximal plasma concentration after 1-2 hours, not bound
to plasma protein , not metabolized and excreted unchanged in urine.
Indications & usage :
- For non-insulin dependent diabetics ( type II ) alone or with sulphonylurea .
- Overweight diabetics .
- Polycystic ovary syndrome , as sole therapy or as an adjuvant to clomiphene.
- Ketoacidosis and hypoxic states ( e.g. respiratory failure , recent myocardial
- Renal or hepatic impairment , Congestive heart failure .
- Use of iodinated X-ray contrast media ( restart after renal function is verified
(normal ) .
- Known hypersensitivity to metformin .
- Transient GIT disturbances (e.g. anorexia, nausea, diarrhea) which resolve
spontaneously during continuous treatment (overcomed by taking Cidophage
- Lactic acidosis may rarely occur due to metformin accumulation so caution
must be taken .
Dermal rash and dermatitis may rarely occur.
- Drugs that may diminish the hypoglycemic effect :
Corticosteroids , oral contraceptives , estrogen , thyroid products ,
sympathomimetics and Ca channel blockers.
- Drugs that may enhance the hypoglycemic effect :
Alcohol, fruosemide , nifedipine and cimetidine.
Warnings & precautions :
- Medical and surgical emergencies ( substitute with insulin ) .
- Cidophage may decrease intestinal absorption of Vit B12 , so parenteral
Vit. B12 administration is advisable also Red Blood cells Parameters should be
monitored once per year .
- In pregnancy ( although it doesn’t cross the placental barrier and there is no
evidence of any teratogenic effect ) .
- For patients receiving other hypoglycemic agents, dose adjustment of both
Cidophage and the other medication is must .
Dosage & administration:
- Initially 500 mg daily increased gradually to maximum 2.5 gm daily with or
after meals in divided doses or according to doctor's supervision.
- Cidophage-retard 850 mg : ( 1-2) tablets morning and evening with meals .
Cidophage 500 mg , 1000 mg : Strips of 10 tablets.
Cidophage retard 850 mg : Box of 30 or 60 tablets
Strips of 10 tablets (Box of 1000 tablets).
Store at a temperature below 30 oc and R.H below 70 %